Unit 6: Small Talk
- start conversations with known and unknown people
- make compliments (e.g. appearance, clothing) and congratulations
- ask and tell about general wellbeing, health and everyday life
- discuss the weather
- close a conversation
Remember Your Signs
Review these phrases covered in class.
Non manual signals (You are going to Deaf Club)
Agreement Verbs (Help)
Phrases cards (Card 1)
Phrases cards (Card 2)
Phrases cards (Card 3)
Phrases cards (Card 4)
Phrases cards (Card 5)
Phrases cards (Card 6)
Have you completed all homework tasks for this unit? By now, you should be able to express the following phrases in NZSL. Test yourself before peeking at these videos.
Self Assessment Checklist
- I know how to sign the vocabulary (compliments, weather, health, wellbeing, agreement verbs).
- I know how to start and close conversations with known and unknown people.
- I can make compliments (e.g. appearance, clothing) and offer congratulations.
- I can ask and tell about general wellbeing, health and everyday life.
- I can ask about and discuss the weather.
- I can use and follow appropriate facial expressions and signs to express intensity (amount) and speed to match meaning (e.g. from rain to very heavy rain).
- I can use and follow agreement verbs by changing the direction of movement and location to say who is doing what to whom.
- I know the appropriate signs to use for agreement verbs.
- I know what the agreement verb rules are for mouthing when using them (appropriate mouthing of the verb instead of saying from who to whom).
- I understand how important it is to make a connection with Deaf people and what information to share about myself when meeting someone for the first time.
Last updated: 1/8/2020